2016 was our busiest and most fruitful year to date. There’s so much that happened over the year that we’d love to share with you but we’ve condensed it down to the highlights. Thanks for making 2016 an awesome year. We’re looking forward to journeying through 2017 with you.
Grace and peace,
Founder of Conversations on the Fringe
Top 10 Blog Posts
- Youth Ministry and the Post-modern Learner
- Teen Gender Dysphoria and Christmas Shopping
- Sex, Aggression, and Adolescents
- How to Talk About Intimate Partner Violence with Your Students: A Guide For Youth Workers
- Stages of Sexual Identity Development for LGBTQ Youth
- Imaginative Hope
- Trauma-Informed Youth Ministry
- White Privilege
- Protecting Against Sexual Abuse In Youth Programs
- This is Your Brain On Opiates
- Youth Specialties Facebook Live Q&A Series (self-harm, addiction, depression/suicide)
- Can the Church Be Good News to LGBTQ Youth for the Illinois Mennonite Conference
- Can the Church Be Good News to LGBTQ Youth at Simply Youth Ministry Conference
- Conflict Management at Youth Leadership Academy at Elgin Community College
- Reimagining Adolescence at the Faith Forward Gathering
- Racial Reconciliation Experience at National Youth Worker Convention
- Student Retreat at Heights Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Albuquerque, NM
- Guest Lecturing at Eureka College on Systemic Abandonment and Moral Disengagement for the Juvenile Criminal Justice Program
New Initiative in 2016
Innovative Disruption – Helping churches disrupt the status quo and discover innovative ways to reach marginalized and vulnerable youth.
Fringe Life Support Training – Helping churches help hurting youth through pastoral counseling, spiritual direction, and mentoring.
RealTalk Drug Prevention – Working with communities who desire to have honest conversations about effective drugs and alcohol prevention among area youth. We offer a variety of educational opportunities for students, parents, schools, and communities.
Reimagining Adolescence – We explore the developmental, physiological, social, cultural, and spiritual complexities of guiding adolescents through contemporary society. This event is perfect for parents, grandparents, teachers, social workers, coaches, youth workers, or anyone else that love kids and desire to walk with them as they navigate an increasingly difficult world.
AND…CHRIS RAN INTO BILL MURRAY!!! (That was a personal highlight, even though he locked up and could barely talk to him.)
Dreams for 2017
True North Youth Leadership Training Online Cohort – This online student leadership cohort is aimed at nurturing and activating your student’s leadership through individual and group projects that will directly impact the community they live in.
Fringe Learning Labs – Learning Labs fill in the gap that traditional youth ministry education doesn’t address. We provide an affordable, customized training experience for volunteer and staff youth workers to explore difficult issues facing yout today; issues such as race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and mental health.
Prisoners of Love: Teen Dating Violence Education
Dirty Little Secrets: dealing with the Problem of Porn
Digital and printed resources for youth, parents, and youth workers
Incorporation as a 501c3 nonprofit organization