I’m looking forward to heading out west to join thousands of other youth workers for a time of rest and training. These are some of the best people I’ve ever met in ministry. Working under hard conditions, with a lack of resources and support, in the trenches every day. Their work is tireless and often thankless. But they press on, believing that the Jesus they serve will show up in the lives of the kids and ministries.
I’m privileged to be facilitating a workshop on working with juvenile criminal offenders. Here’s a quick look at what we will cover during this workshop:
- We will explore how God has wired us and what He wired us for as well as the intrinsic longings He placed in us to direct our behaviors.
- We will learn about the pro-social vs. pro-criminal spectrum and how one becomes a criminal and disengages morally.
- We will also discuss the criminogenic needs individuals have and how recidivism occurs when those needs aren’t addressed.
- We will explore what developmental assets are and how they are related to criminality and how we as a church can participate in increasing the numbers of assets young people have.
- We will explore how to develop a community network to address the various needs an individual has, such as; employment, housing, mental health, etc.
- We will discuss mentoring and family ministry strategies that are proven to reduce recidivism and provide hope for individuals coming out of a criminal lifestyle and moving into a Kingdom lifestyle.
If you’re unable to attend the conference you can purchase MP3s from the website on any of the sessions offered. I’ll post a link to this workshop here after the conference.