A safe and supportive space for LGBTQIA+ youth, families, friends, and their allies from around Central Illinois. This is a non-religious endeavor. Even though Conversations on the Fringe has faith-ties (but is affirming and inclusive), The Fringe Gathering Place is not religious. This is to ensure everyone feels welcome in this space. All are welcome!
This initiative is being launched after a two-year-long study of LGBTQIA+ youth. Each student engaged in face-to-face interviews, submitted written responses to an extensive questionnaire, or completed an online survey. We had over one hundred participants. The questions focused on family acceptance/rejection, coming out, stressors, intersections, trauma/bullying, social alienation/acceptance, substance abuse/mental health issues, suicidality, and faith experiences.
The results of our study closely reflected the national statistics, LGBTQIA+ youth are susceptible to suicidal ideation.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among young people ages 10 to 24.
- LGB youth seriously contemplate suicide at almost three times the rate of heterosexual youth.
- LGB youth are almost five times as likely to have attempted suicide compared to heterosexual youth.
- Of all the suicide attempts made by youth, LGB youth suicide attempts were almost five times as likely to require medical treatment than those of heterosexual youth.
- Suicide attempts by LGB youth and questioning youth are 4 to 6 times more likely to result in injury, poisoning, or overdose that requires treatment from a doctor or nurse, compared to their straight peers.
- In a national study, 40% of transgender adults reported having made a suicide attempt. 92% of these individuals reported having attempted suicide before the age of 25.
- LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection.
- 1 out of 6 students nationwide (grades 9–12) seriously considered suicide in the past year.
- Each episode of LGBT victimization, such as physical or verbal harassment or abuse, increases the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times on average.
There is an immense need for more safe and affriming spaces in the Peoria area for queer youth.
Over time, we hope to provide the following service/supports for youth in our area:
- Mentoring/Peer Mentoring
- Health/Wellness Education (testing/prevention)
- Support Groups (trans, family, depression, substance abuse, etc.)
- Referrals (healthcare, mental health, substance abuse, etc.)
- Family Support
- Harm Reduction (inclusive sex and sexuality education)
- Social Events (trips, art classes, dances, etc.)
We have two important dates coming up. If you are interested in either you are invited to attend.
Youth Leadership Board Meeting – May 2nd, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Adult Advisory Board Meeting – May 9th, 6:00pm – 8:00pm
If you are interested in joining the adult advisory board or the youth leadership board contact us at email@example.com
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thefringegatheringspace/
If you are interested in volunteering, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by and visit us at 1411 NE Adams St. Peoria, Illinois 61603.