Just a quick reminder to take care of yourself. Those you minister to need the you to be well over the long haul. Self-care is important to prevent future stress to the body. The following ideas have been found to be helpful in coping with stress:
- A regular daily routine: Have set times for getting up, meals, and going to bed.
- A balanced diet: Include breads & cereals, meat, fish & dairy products, fruits & vegetables.
- Avoid too much coffee and tea to help you sleep at night.
- Outdoor activities, such as going for a walk or gardening, take you away from the stress, and refresh you mentally.
- Exercise (i.e. such as swimming, walking, & team games) will produce chemicals called endorphins in the body which help to counteract depression and make you feel energized. The exercise does not need to be strenuous. If you have doubts about your fitness, consult your doctor.
- Relaxation: meditation, massage, music.
- A relaxing pre-sleep routine: winding down before bed and not watching television right before going to sleep.
- Avoid seeking relief through alcohol, smoking, medication, and other drugs.
- Consult a doctor about physical symptoms, for a blood pressure check, for practical help, and for help with the the stress of life.
Honor God and those He calls you to serve by taking care of yourself.
June 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm
Ive been working on a self-care blog series- this will be linked in my upcoming post next week!
June 4, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Awesome. I’m looking forward to reading that series.